Frequently Asked Questions - Individual Income Tax

If your refund has been lost, destroyed, or stolen, you may contact the Taxpayer Services Division of the Tax Division to have the payment stopped and a new check issued.

In the case of a stop payment, another check is usually issued between 30 to 60 days from the time you contact the Tax Division. However, if your check has been cashed by someone else, the criminal investigation may take at least 120 days to be completed.

For faster service, you may fax your request to (304) 558-8713 or email at TaxHelp@WV.Gov.